Spud recommends: Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi, a graphic novel about growing up in Iran during the revolution and the Iran-Iraq war.
A question: What is the correct pluralisation of "Catch-22"?
Not sure exactly what a fandom is, but here's a list of ten clues which each relate to a film, series, book, etc. which I like. What's what?
Edit: I shall now reveal the anwsers! Feel free to throw things at me.
- Its creator(s) derive much of [his/their] humour from forcing a handful of characters together who just can't stand each other. (Red Dwarf; guessed by deralte, random-bloke-in-pub and digitalraven)
- According to an old joke, the main character has three ears. (Star Trek; guessed by dsky, digitalraven and original_aj)
- Apparent references to marijuana use and... erm... sexually ambiguous relationships are actually just the result of cultural shifts since this work was created. (The Lord of the Rings; guessed by dsky, figg, brucec and digitalraven)
- The title character is actually a different person in each installment, but with the same name. (The Legend of Zelda games; guessed by oddity_uk)
- According to this work, it is universally possible to order a gin and tonic. (The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series of books; guessed by yodathedark, dsky, figg, deralte, digitalraven and original_aj)
- Entities which are harmless, obedient, and self-preserving. In that order. (Isaac Asimov's Robot Novels; guessed by dsky, figg, deralte, galaxy_girl00, digitalraven and original_aj)
- One's vocalisations of distress, emitted into a vacuum, will be impossible to detect. (Alien; guessed by dsky, figg, oddity_uk, galaxy_girl00, deralte, digitalraven and original_aj)
- Should one 100,000,000,000-km-tall being wish to wed another, the title object would probably make a good token of his intent. 8^) (Ringworld; guessed by dsky, figg, deralte, digitalraven and original_aj)
- The main character is named after a Greek princess, but (partially) modelled on a Japanese one. (Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind; guessed by nobody [oops!])
- Origami causes angst! — but only in the Director's Cut. (Blade Runner; guessed by dsky, figg, galaxy_girl00, digitalraven and original_aj)
I like clue 8. Clue 8 is on crack.
Also: No idea what sort of crap to get your family and friends for christmas?
Yes, once again, I should be working. 8^P
Have been giggling at Spamusement; "poorly-drawn cartoons inspired by actual spam subject lines". Here are some of my favourites:
The Cancer Reasearch UK shop next to the supermarket proved to have an interesting selection of comic books, for some reason. Thus I have acquired:( The Monolith, The Authority (sorta), Scars, Mirrorworld: Rain, Colonia )
I should really watch my wallet, though: comics aren't cheap.
Ping me if you're interested in perusing any of them.
Is glorious. Thought-provoking, genre-transcending. spudtater-recommended!
One librarienne to use as an icon.
Oh, and random link for galaxy_girl00 and friends: http://www.bitterfilms.com/anesthetics-